Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What would it be like without the Holy Spirit?

Last week I was broken in several ways from the Advance conference held here in Durham. One of the strongest came from Matt Chandler. Before he dove into his sermon, he was frightened by the thought of a conference without the work of God's Spirit. He stopped and asked us as a body to pray for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. This is huge.

I don't know about you, but it is very easy for me to chart out a plan in ministry, set some goals, spread the vision, but somehow bypass the Holy Spirit in the process. I don't think plans and goals and vision are bad things, but they are useless without the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Conferences are a waste of money if the Holy Spirit doesn't work. Churches are dead if the Holy Spirit doesn't show up. Ministries are lifeless without the work of his Spirit. Marriages are harsh and bitter without him. My life is cold and empty without him.

So, this is an urge and a reminder to beg for the Holy Spirit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I want things to happen in my life and ministry that cannot be explained through human exertion. I want God to move in people when a sermon sucks. I want God to break us open when the song is off key. I want God to devastate my heart when I drive through my neighborhood. I want those far from God to become filled with life. I want my marriage to be beautiful and miraculous. Ultimately, I want God to have the glory in my life and ministry. I want to point back to him every time I'm asked why things are the way they are. I don't want to look back and see what my hands have done. Rather, I want to look back and see God working in and around and through these weak hands.

2 comments:

patrick mitchell said...

YES! that's freakin' awesome man. i'm right with you bro! me too!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.