Thursday, January 8, 2009

My glory...or transforming the city?

I have a strong desire and dream to transform a city or people group with the gospel of Jesus for God's glory. I want to start a movement in a city by planting churches who live out the transforming power of the gospel through radical love, generosity, humility and excellence in every domain of culture. However, sometimes I think this desire, at its core, may be more for my glory than God's. Here is a taunting question posed by my pastor, J.D. Greear. Do I still want my city to be transformed with the gospel, even if God chooses to use someone other than me to lead the process? Do I still want the entire city to reach transformation even if I don't receive any of the glory, even if I don't have a large church because of it, even if I don't get to speak at conferences because of it, even if I don't get to write books about it, even if God chooses to spark the transformation through my death? Wow! I hope my desire and dream is more about God than me. This is very humbling and challenging to my American mind. Hopefully, my life is ultimately more about God's kingdom than my kingdom.

What about you?

2 comments:

patrick mitchell said...

that's pimp dude!
no doubt that i want "Christ to be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death" (Phil.1:20)
pimp quote from jd. that's what it's all about & if we are bummed for a minute about the church across the street blowing up & heaping glory on God then we are jacked up.

all about the kingdom & His fame!

ethan welch said...

Absolutely man! It resonated deep within me!